Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lawlessness our new Law

I saw a woman get hit by a bus yesterday evening. I was less than a few metres from her. It shook me so bad I could not react in any way. I stood stock still as people milled past me to take a peep at another victim of our road madness. I prayed that her strength would be greater than the impact of the Kenya Bus, and she would live. The bus had come hurtling down the road so fast, for a second I thought Tom Mboya had turned into some dual-carriage-highway. I asked myself so many questions, knowing no answers would be forthcoming…but still, I did. When will this road madness stop? Who allowed maddening speeds within the City centre? Isn’t there a speed limit? Why have we allowed matatu drivers to take charge of our roads? Why do we stay silent to all this madness? When shall we say enough is enough and observe the law like we should? All of us!!! I only got more agitated flipping these questions through my head. I felt sadness, for the children who would be waiting for their mother, but she would not come home. For the husband whose wife would not be home when he got there. For the woman whose life will most likely never be the same again. I felt sad for a country that is so devoid of law that lawlessness has become our new law. Sadness for a people that are so selfish and full of the ‘me’ syndrome that we walk all over each other without shame. I felt sad for the madness that we have allowed to overwhelm the very core of our humanity. Sad that we speak big dreams and give them big names like ‘2030’ yet we have retrogressed to a level that is not even enviable by our worse off neighbours. And then I wished for anger, full-blown tantrums towards this madness. That we would demand service from the cop who comes to the road to get his morning cut from the matatu crew. That we would not allow him to get into the matatu only to get off a few meters ahead after getting his cursed sadaka. That he would do his job and ensure speed limits were observed. That we would not go silent when our children’s schools are run down, the funds to run them squandered by our thieving ‘leaders.’ That we would not allow the non-service-providing City Council turn the city into their money-minting-mine by harassing all and sundry. That we would do away with the lethargic attitude we carry around with us. That the cries from losing our loved ones on the roads may cease. I wait for when we shall get into a rage that shall see the lawlessness we have let reign come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Horrendous indeed..when will lawlessness come to an end.

    ReplyDelete