If there is a strong and most effectual fibre that we carry within us, it is Faith. We are driven to do unimaginable things by the sheer power of believing in something. As I watched John Allan cover the story on ‘babu’ in Loliondo, I could not help but feel a stirring of awe at the masses of people that flocked this modest man’s mud-walled hut to seek a cure for their ailments. The obvious irony is the simplicity of this man and the ‘financial muscle’ harboured by most of those who called at his door step with their heavy cars for just a cup (a tin cup) of a strange potion that translated to health for them.
The sheer strength that most of them displayed by travelling all the way having come to terms with their fate with death was inspiring. There was this very sick young man who looked like he was in his final stage with cancer – very sorry sight. An elderly lady who had to ride on a boda boda – also had cancer and had to be brought in by her son.
We can look at this story from varied angles – a young woman I watched this story with was very upset at the gullibility of the human race. She asked incessant questions, who are these people? Do they know what constitutes that concoction they are taking? She went on and on……She was upset and did not mince words about what a fraudster ‘babu’ is.
The romantic me saw faith. I saw hope. I saw what strong spirits we all carry within us. I saw how adversity is bombarded with all the might we have…….even if it means travelling thousands of miles to some strange land, to some strange man! And I realized what it means to give up! It means to have this fighting spirit die……..to wait for death! To come to terms and get comfortable with going six feet under! No one should ever succumb to the ‘killing the spirit’ notion. Staying ‘alive’ by all means necessary needs to be the banner! Carry it up high everyday……when days are so blue you have no idea what next…..lift the banner high. When you have reached your wits end……carry it higher. When you seem to be surrounded by questions and no answers……..carry it even higher. Stay Alive!! Keep the spirit alive!
wow!! it reminds me of Hebrews 11:1
ReplyDelete